So 2012 it’s nice to see you on the blog. I need to recap 2011 and maybe one of these days I’ll have some time and internet connection in order to do so. Since the move – it’s been almost 6 months! – I’ve been quite busy and while I did manage to keep reading, my baking and blogging has suffered. Anyways, to start the year off right I thought I might share a few delicious recipes that I’ve gotten out of my Real Simple magazine.
When I first saw this recipe I thought that’s just strange but then Iwas seduced by the terms butternut squash and chickpeas! I have and unhealthy love of chickpeas in almost any form, including straight out of the can! Anyways, I braved up and tried it with a few modifications and it may be one of my new favorite salads. This thing was deliciouse and filling and pretty and healthy – that’s a combination that really can’t be beat. The spice from the tahini was offset nicely by the sweetness of the squash.
As for my modifications, I did not use chicken or pita chips on my salad, and I added an avocado, which was delicious. I highly recommend giving this salad a try in the near future. Here’s a link to the original recipe and a copy of it right here:
Chicken, Squash, and Chickpea Salad with Tahini Dressing via Real Simple
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds)—peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 12 ounces romaine hearts, cut into strips (about 9 cups)
- 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 cup pita chips, broken
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Heat oven to 425° F, with the racks in the upper and lower thirds. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the squash with 2 tablespoons of the oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Roast on the bottom rack, tossing once, until tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the chicken on a second rimmed baking sheet and coat it with 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil; season with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Roast on the top rack until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool slightly, then slice.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the tahini, lemon juice, oregano, the remaining tablespoon of oil, ⅓ cup water, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Divide the lettuce among plates; dividing evenly, top with the squash, chicken, chickpeas, pita chips, and chives. Serve with the dressing.